[Written in 2006.]
People argue that conscious celibacy in the service of the path toward enlightenment would lead our species to extinction, but in their denial they completely miss the point – and get it backwards. It is our unconsciousness which is leading us to extinction, and as the coming decades pass this will become only more obvious.
The way things are heading with our species on our planet, it is becoming increasingly irresponsible for people to have children. Hopefully this will not be so in the future, but it is the truth is now. Some are waking up to this reality and are consciously changing their ways. Some are being woken up to this reality and are being forced to change their ways. And the rest are going through their lives blissfully asleep – and will soon be rudely awakened to this reality.
There is no need to become depressed and bury one’s head in the sand. There are things the individual can do. The basic way is to become personally enlightened. Once that is accomplished everything else falls naturally into line.
Here is a short list of ways to speed up your path to enlightenment:
- Stop using drugs.
- Stop drinking alcohol.
- Stop smoking cigarettes.
- Stop having sex.
- Do not masturbate.
- Discontinue other addictive behaviors.
- Eat a healthy, reasonable diet.
- Take a reasonable amount of exercise.
- Set aside time for a good night’s sleep each night.
- Do not reproduce.
- Be single.
- Study your personal history.
- Keep a journal in which you honestly express yourself.
- Write down your dreams at night and study them – and analyze them – carefully in the morning.
- Study your motives.
- Simplify your life to the extreme.
- Take distance from your family of origin.
- Take distance from people who do not follow the things on this list
If you can follow this list, chances are it will add a great degree of stress to your life – perhaps too much to handle at any given time – but it will certainly provoke some degree of healing reaction.