[Written in 2008.]
“Primitive” people throughout history have had a tendency to blame themselves when things go wrong in their world. They struggled to appease angry gods for times of drought and disease and accident and famine, thinking their own moral imperfections and behavioral errors to be the cause. Yet all too often they, with their “self-centered” worldview, were blaming themselves for things which had nothing do with them. The irony is, our modern world, with its global warming, melting polar ice caps, radical loss of species, and massive pollution, is falling apart directly BECAUSE of humanity’s sick actions – and yet now we deny it!
I find this fascinating. Perhaps our genius culture is a lot more primitive than we realize – just the flip side of our Stone Age counterparts. Perhaps a little appeasing of the angry gods would do us well. Allow me to compile a list of some potential sacrifices we could make for the sake of our world – and for the future of our species.
Actually, no need to make a new list. I already made one in a different essay, “Eighteen Ways To Speed Up The Path To Enlightenment,” and those eighteen ways apply perfectly well here. So, here’s a list of…eighteen sacrifices we can make:
Here is a short list of ways to speed up your path to enlightenment:
- Stop using drugs.
- Stop drinking alcohol.
- Stop smoking cigarettes.
- Stop having sex.
- Do not masturbate.
- Discontinue other addictive behaviors.
- Eat a healthy, reasonable diet.
- Take a reasonable amount of exercise.
- Set aside time for a good night’s sleep each night.
- Do not reproduce.
- Be single.
- Study your personal history.
- Keep a journal in which you honestly express yourself.
- Write down your dreams at night and study them – and analyze them – carefully in the morning.
- Study your motives.
- Simplify your life to the extreme.
- Take distance from your family of origin.
- Take distance from people who do not follow the things on this list
If you can follow this list, chances are it will add a great degree of stress to your life – perhaps too much to handle at any given time – but it will certainly provoke some degree of healing reaction…